The Castle of Abrantes, also referred to as Fortress of Abrantes, Ribatejo, located in the parishes of St. John and St. Vincent, town and county of Abrantes, Santarem district of Portugal.
In a dominant position on a hill on the right bank of the Tagus river, formerly constituting the call Tagus Line, currently part of the Tourism Region of the Templars.
At the time of the Christian Reconquest of the Iberian peninsula, in 1118 or 1148, the town was conquered from the Moors by the forces of Afonso Henriques (1112-1185), which determined its reconstruction of the defenses. The defense needs of the call Tagus line, appreciated his site, at a time when the Templar Order endowed the middle reaches of the river an impressive defensive line, which signed up. Resisted thus harassment of the forces of the Caliphate under the Almohad Abem Jacob command, which had to withdraw suffering heavy casualties. In reward for this heroic deed, received the sovereign your Foral Charter (1179). Under the reign of Sancho I (1185-1211), a new siege Almohad under the Caliph Abu Yusuf Ya’qub command al-Mansur, was repeated in 1191, a time when all Christian conquests were lost in territories South of the River Tagus, with the exception of the city of Évora.
Later, D. Afonso III (1248-1279) gave it major improvements on defense, started in 1250 and completed between 1300 and 1303, during the reign of King Dinis (1279-1325), highlighting the Keep tower and the expansion of the walls. This monarch donated the town to his wife, Isabel of Aragon, passing, thereafter, to integrate the assets of the queens of Portugal.
At the time of the 1383-1385 crisis lined up next to the Master of Avis forces, praying the tradition that was in this castle that took the decision to fight the troops of Castile in Aljubarrota.
Under the reign of King Manuel (1495-1521), the village received the Foral New (1510).
In the second half of the sixteenth century, Abrantes Castle fell into decay, particularly during the Philippine Dynasty.